Saturday 5 April 2008

The First Step Is Always The Hardest

I quit my job yesterday.

I can't believe how difficult it was. My heart was racing, my hands were shaking and I'd had intense muscle tension in my neck for the week leading up to it. It almost killed me.

The company I have been working for is called 'The EIP Group'. I started working for them a few years ago teaching English to predominantly Japanese and Korean students. More recently, however, I was fortunate enough to be welcomed in as a director. My future would have been secure. This made my decision all the more difficult. It has been made though and has marked a definitive moment in my life. It is a very clearly defined turning point; the very first step to a new chapter. The only thing to do now is decide exactly what that chapter will entail.

The only thing I know so far is that it will include a bicycle and many hours on it. At present I'm not sure how large I want this chapter to be but in early 2009 I will set off from my home on the Gold Coast which is on the mid-east coast of Australia and ride north. I want no limitations on this journey. Let the planning begin.

The open road.

No comments: